Friday, July 1, 2011

Crepes

I love crepes. Growing up my mom would make them for us almost every Saturday. We'd eat them fresh off the pan while watching our favourite cartoons. My sister and I used to fight over who got the first one, that is until we realized the first one was never as good. It's true, sometimes I just toss the first one, or I put it to the side to nibble with my coffee as I make the rest. For Saturdays, or holiday's or a late evening snack, crepes are always sure to please.

What you'll need
2 Large eggs
3/4 cup Milk
1/2 cup Water
1 cup Flour
3 tbsp Butter, melted
1 tsp Vanilla
2 1/2 tbsp Sugar

How to
1. Beat together the eggs, milk, water, butter, vanilla and sugar until well blended. Slowly add the flour. Beat until smooth.

2. Heat up a large non-stick pan or a crepe pan over medium heat. You may need to add some butter to the pan to prevent sticking.

3. Use a 1/3 cup measuring cup to ladle the batter onto the pan. Quickly turn the pan from side to side until the batter evenly coats the pan.

4. Fry until the batter is dry and the bottom is slightly golden, then flip. For crispier crepes, fry until the edges turn golden, then flip.

5. They're best if you eat them right away, but if you're not watching cartoons while eating, then place in the oven at low heat until ready to eat.

6. Top with your favourite crepe filling and roll!

Filling ideas
Jam
Lemon juice and sugar
Fresh fruit
Pie filling
Nutella
Nutella and banana's
Whip cream and strawberries
Good old maple syrup

No comments: