Sunday, January 8, 2012

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Mustard

Recipe from the Essential Canadian Christmas Cookbook
by Lovoni Walker

I believe that a lot of the time when people don't like a certain food, it isn't the food that they don't like, but how it was prepared. Whenever my husband tells me he doesn't like a certain food I'm determined to find a way to prepare it that he would enjoy. Brussels sprouts are one of those foods, for many I'm sure.  Maybe it's because I smothered them in mustard and bacon, but my husband has now decided he doesn't hate Brussels sprouts.  Another victory!

What you'll need
4 slices bacon, chopped
1/4 cup Green onions, thinly sliced
2 tbsp Grainy mustard
2 tbsp Orange juice
1 tbsp Butter
2 lbs small Brussels sprouts, stalk ends trimmed (clearly by the picture, I forgot this step...oops)

How to
1.  Cook bacon in small frying pan over medium heat until golden; drain on paper towel.

2.  Reserve 2 tbsp of bacon fat in same frying pan; discard any remaining fat. Add onion and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes or until softened.

3.  Add mustard, orange juice and butter and stir until butter is melted.

4.  Meanwhile, cook sprouts in steamer in large saucepan over simmering water for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender crisp and bright green; do not overcook. Drain water from pan and remove streamer. 

5.  Add sprouts to same pan with the bacon and toss to coat.  Spoon into serving bowl and serve immediately. 

No comments: