Recipe by Canadian Living
I am so excited about this recipe. These bars have no added sugar and they taste great! They take quite a bit of time to make, but it's nice to have a heathy snack to pack in our lunches.
What you'll need
3 cups Whole dried apricots
1 cup Whole almonds
1 1/2 cups Large-flake rolled oats
1 cup Dates, pitted
1/2 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground ginger
1/2 tsp Salt
1/4 tsp Cloves
1. In bowl, pour 2 cups boiling water over apricots; let soak at room temperature until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 12 hours
2. Meanwhile, cook almonds on rimmed baking sheet in 350°F oven until fragrant and toasted, about 10 minutes. Let cool and coarsely chop. Set aside.
3. Toast oats on rimmed baking sheet in 350°F oven until fragrant, 8-10 minutes. Set aside.
4. In food processor, puree together apricots, soaking liquid and dates until almost smooth. Scrape into heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to oil over medium heat, stirring constantly; boil, stirring until very thick and mixture can mound stiffly on spoon, 10-13 minutes.
5. Add oats, cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves; cook, stirring, until mixture becomes solid mass that is difficult to stir, 8-10 minutes. Fold in almonds.
6. Scrape into parchment paper-lined 9-inch square cake pan, smoothing top. Bake in 200°F oven until dry to the touch, about 1 hour. Let cool in pan on rack. Turn out onto rack and remove paper. Let dry for 12 hours.
7. Cut into 2 1/4 x 1 1/2 inch bars; wrap each in plastic wrap. Makes 24 bars.
Nutrition information per bar:
3 g protein
4 g fat
23 g carbohydrates (3 g dietary fibre, 15 g sugar)
0 mg cholesterol
51 mg sodium
7% vitamin A