Monday, October 8, 2012

Pumpkin Pie with Pecan Crust


Happy Thanksgiving! I made this pie for one of my gatherings. The filling is from a Martha Stewart recipe (which I modified a bit), but I made a pecan crust rather than the traditional crust, so that it was gluten free for my father-in-law. I have to say I actually prefer it over the traditional pumpkin pie. I like that extra bit of crunch!

What you'll need
2 cups Pumpkin puree
2 Eggs
3/4 cup Brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 tsp Ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp Ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ground ginger
1/8 tsp Ground cloves
1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
1/2 tsp Salt
1 cup Heavy cream
Whip cream

Crust:
2 cups Pecans
1/4 cup Brown sugar, packed
1/4 tsp Ground cinnamon
2 tbsp Unsalted butter, softened

How to
1.  For the crust: Blend pecans, sugar, and cinnamon in a food processor until nuts are finely chopped; place in a medium bowl. Stir in butter until well combined. Press mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and bake at 325°F for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire rack and cool.

2.  Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together pumpkin, eggs, sugar, spices, vanilla, and salt; whisk in cream. Pour mixture into cooled crust.

3.  Bake at 350°F until filling is set; about 1 hour. Let cook on wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate to cool completely. Serve with whip cream.

No comments: