Thursday, September 5, 2013

Blueberry Pie

Pie crust recipe from Canadian Living.
Blueberry filling recipe from Living Well Spending Less.

As much as I love fall, I'm a little sad that summer is already on its way out. Maybe it's because I don't feel like I had a chance to do everything I wanted to this summer. It just went by so darn fast! To make the most of the fruit season however, I bought a bunch of blueberries on sale last week and was determined to do some baking within the short time span that blueberries are actually affordable. 

Blueberry pie is my husbands favourite dessert and can you believe I've never made it for him?! I surprised him when he came home from work last week with one baking in the oven. I even let him eat most of it himself. I think I've mentioned before, that as far as desserts go, pie doesn't usually get me too excited. This pie crust however is amazing. I first posted it here in this apple pie recipe. I decided to use it again with this pie because it really is that good! The pie turned out great and I'm sure I'll have many more request for it over the years!

What you'll need
Crust:
2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Cold butter, cubed
1/2 cup Cold lard, cubed
1/4 cup Ice water
3 tbsp Sour cream
1 Egg yolk
2 tbsp Coarse sugar

Filling:
5 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup white sugar
6 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbsp butter, softened

How to
1.  For the crust: in a large bowl, whisk flour with salt. Using pastry blender, cut in butter and lard until in fine crumbs with a few larger pieces.

2.  In liquid measure, whisk water with sour cream.  Drizzle over flour mixture, tossing briskly with fork and adding a little more water if necessary, until ragged dough forms.

3.  Divide in half; press into 2 discs.  Wrap; refrigerate until chilled, 30 minutes.


4.  For the filling: add the sugar, cornstarch, salt and cinnamon to blueberries; careful mix together until blueberries are evenly coated. 

5.  On lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry to generous 1/8-inch thickness; fit into 9-inch pie plate.  Trim to rim of pie plate.  Scrape in filling; dot with butter.

6.  Roll out remaining pastry.  Whisk egg yolk with 1 tbsp water; brush some of this egg wash over pastry on rim. Fit pastry over filling; trim to leave 3/4-inch overhang.  Fold upper layer of pastry under pastry on rim; flute to seal.  Brush some of the remaining egg wash lightly over pastry.  Cut steam vents in top; sprinkle with coarse sugar.

7.  Bake in bottom third of 450°F oven for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350°F; bake until bottom is deep golden, and filling is bubbly and thickened, about 65 minutes.  Let cool on rack.

No comments: