Monday, September 12, 2011

Apple Pie


Recipe by Canadian Living.

Pie is never my go to dessert and certainly not apple pie. I will always choose a piece of chocolate cake or a rich, decadent dessert before I choose pie. My husband however looooves pie, and apple pie the most. He's been asking me for a while now if I could make him an apple pie and after his cousin gave him a bag of apples from his tree it seemed like the perfect opportunity to take on the challenge. I've had this recipe tucked away for quite some time now, just waiting for the perfect opportunity to use it. Well, I am certainly glad I kept it because this is the best apple pie I've ever had! The crust is perfectly flaky, but not too dry and the filling is...well, perfect. Delicious! In fact, from now on, I think my husband will have a much easier time convincing me to make him an apple pie.

What you'll need
Crust
2 1/2 cups All-purpose flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Cold butter, cubed
1/2 cup Cold lard, cubed
1/4 cup Ice water
3 tbsp Sour cream
1 Egg yolk
2 tbsp Coarse sugar

Filling
8 apples, about 1.5 kg
3/4 cup Granulated sugar
2 tbsp Cornstarch
1 tsp Cinnamon
Pinch each Nutmeg and Salt
2 tbsp Butter, softened

How to
Crust:
1.  In large bowl, whisk flour with salt. Using pastry blender, cut in butter and lard until in fine crumbs with a few larger pieces.

2.  In liquid measure, whisk water with sour cream.  Drizzle over flour mixture, tossing briskly with fork and adding a little more water if necessary, until ragged dough forms.

3.  Divide in half; press into 2 discs.  Wrap; refrigerate until chilled, 30 minutes.

Filling:
1.  Peel and core apples; cut into 1/4-inch thick slices to make 8 cups.  Place in large bowl.  In small bowl, toss together sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt; add to apples and toss until coated.

2.  On lightly floured surface, roll out half of the pastry to generous 1/8-inch thickness; fit into 9-inch pie plate.  Trim to rim of pie plate.  Scrape in filling; dot with butter.

3.  Roll out remaining pastry.  Whisk egg yolk with 1 tbsp water; brush some of this egg wash over pastry on rim. Fit pastry over filling; trim to leave 3/4-inch overhang.  Fold upper layer of pastry under pastry on rim; flute to seal.  Brush some of the remaining egg wash lightly over pastry.  Cut steam vents in top; sprinkle with coarse sugar.

4.  Bake in bottom third of 450°F oven for 10 minutes.  Reduce heat to 350°F; bake until bottom is deep golden, apples are tender and filling is bubbly and thickened, about 65 minutes.  Let cool on rack.

No comments: