Sunday, September 18, 2011
Apple Streusel Muffins
What you'll need
2 cups Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
3 tsp Baking powder
1 tsp Salt
1/2 cup Butter
1 Medium apple, peeled, cored and diced
2 tsp Grated lemon rind
2/3 cup Milk
1/4 cup Chopped nuts of your choice (I like pecans)
2 tbsp Sugar
1. Sift flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Reserve 1/2 cup for the topping and set aside.
2. Stir the apple and 1 tsp of the rind into the flour mixture.
3. In a small bowl, beat the egg with the milk. Add it to the flour mixture, stirring lightly.
4. Grease a muffin tin and fill each individual muffin cup 3/4 full.
5. Blend reserved crumbs with remaining rind, nuts and 2 tbsp sugar. Sprinkle over muffins.
6. Bake in a 425°F oven for 20 minutes. Makes 12 muffins.