Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Chickpea Curry

Recipe modified.  Original recipe by Family Circle.

School is in full force and what little time and brain power I have left at the end of the day is...actually non-existent.  I'm a planner.  I like to make a grocery list, plan my meals and and look forward to trying the next new recipe.  Planning these days has been lost with the wind however and grocery shopping has become a rare trip to pick up some banana's, bread and cheese.  What I can count on however is a stock of canned tomatoes and chickpeas.  I keep them for those days that I find myself without any food in the fridge.  Those days where all I need is a good comforting meal.  Well, this is it, my go to comfort meal.  I grab a glass of wine, dish up a bowl of chickpea curry and curl up on the couch to give myself some much needed TLC.

What you'll need
2 Onions, thinly sliced
4 Garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
1 tsp Chili powder
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp Paprika
1 tbsp Ground cumin
1 tbsp Ground coriander
1 540 ml can Chickpeas
1 796 ml can Diced tomatoes
1 tsp Garam masala

How to
1.  Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat.  Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until soft.

2.  Add the chili powder, salt, turmeric, paprika, cumin and coriander.  Stir over heat for 1 minute.

3.  Add the chickpeas and undrained tomatoes; stir until combined.  Simmer, covered, over low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

4.  Stir in the garam masala.  Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

5.  Serve over rice.

No comments: