Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Spicy Chipotle Meatballs with Rice

Recipe modified. Original recipe from Real Simple magazine.

My husband makes fun of me because I always make notes on my recipes about how good they are and what I would change the next time. Yesterday he asked, "so what are we having for dinner?" After I told him he said "that sounds good". "I've made it before" I said. "Oh, I don't remember. Was it good?" "I think so" I said. "Well what did you write on the recipe?" he asked. I looked down "Oh! Delicious!" We both started laughing. See, this is why I make notes. And I have to say, it was delicious the second time around as well!

What you'll need
1 1/2 tbsp Olive oil
1 medium Onion, diced
6 Garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 28-ounce can Diced tomatoes
1 tsp Canned chipotle chilies in adobo sauce, chopped
1 cup Long-grain white rice
1 1/2 lbs Ground beef 
1/2 cup Fresh cilantro, chopped (plus more for serving)
1/4 cup Bread crumbs
1 large Egg, beaten
1 tsp Ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
1/4 tsp Black pepper
Sour cream for serving (optional)

How to
1.  Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and half the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to brown, 5-7 minutes. Add the tomatoes (with their juices) and chipotles. Simmer, partially covered, until the sauce has thickened, 15-20 minutes.

2.  Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the package directions.

3.  While the rice is cooking, in a medium bowl, combine the beef, cilantro, bread crumbs, egg, cumin, the remaining half of the garlic, salt and pepper. Shape the mixture into 16 meatballs (about 2 heaping tbsp each).

4.  Heat the remaining 1/2 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Place the meatballs in the pan and cook, rotating the meatballs frequently. Cook until browned and cooked through.

5.  Add the meatballs to the sauce. Serve over rice and sprinkle with additional cilantro. Serve with sour cream on the side.

No comments: