Saturday, February 2, 2013

Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala

Recipe from Real Simple Magazine.

I apologize for my lengthly absence. I began my senior practicum in January and I've been working and learning the joy's of shift work. In fact, it is now just before three in the morning and I'm wide awake. I have been working nights the last two weeks and my body doesn't seems to want to switch back to days yet. Anyways, I thought I'd use this quite peaceful night to post a yummy recipe I've been meaning to post forever! This meal is one of my comfort meals. It is so easy to make and so delicious, I'd be happy to eat it every week. Good thing too, because it looks like I'll be needing more easy meals these days!

What you'll need
1 - 15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tsp garam masala
Kosher salt
Black pepper
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1/2 English cucumber, halved and thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 cup basmati rice
1/2 cup heavy cream

How to
1.  In a 4-6 quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Place the chicken on top of the vegetables, cover, and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.

2.  In a small bowl, toss the cucumber and cilantro with the lemon juice and 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for up to 8 hours.

3.  Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.

4.  Just before serving, stir the cream into the chicken tikka masala. Serve over the rice with the cucumber relish.

1 comment:

Tiffany Enns said...

I am making this today and it already smells amazing! I can't wait for supper!