Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Coconut - Key Lime Pie

Recipe from www.marthastewart.com

I had my parents over for a Mother's day dinner on Monday night. My mom loves everything lemon and lime, so I thought I'd give this recipe a try. It was sooo tasty! My only note is to taste the badder before pouring it into the crust and add a little more lime juice if it needs it (I threw in a few more dashes). I must say, I love this pie and I will most certainly be making it again!

What you'll need
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
3 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp coarse salt
5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted

Filling and Topping
1 can (398 mL) sweetened condensed milk
1 can (398 mL) unsweetened coconut milk
1/3 cup fresh or bottled Key lime juice
7 large egg yolks
2 cups cold heavy cream
2 tbsp confectioners' sugar
3 tbsp sweetened shredded coconut, toasted

How to
1.  Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar, salt, and butter in a medium sized bowl until coarse crumbs form.

2.  Firmly press crumb mixture into bottom and up sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake until crust is dry and set, about 12 minutes. Let cool completely in plate on a wire rack before filling.

3.  Decrease oven temperature to 325°F. In a small bowl, whisk together the condensed milk, coconut milk, lime juice, and egg yolks until smooth.

4.  Pour filling into crust and bake until set but still slightly wobbly in centre, 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack, 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then refrigerate 3 hours (or up to 1 day).

5.  In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat cream and sugar on high until stiff peaks form, about 3 minutes. To serve, top pie with whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut.

No comments: