Recipe from Simply Gluten Free.
I made these delicious little nests for our Father's Day dinner last week. I think they turned out quite nicely. Often meringue recipes can be really sweet, but the unsweetened whip cream and the tartness of the rhubarb in this recipe make this dessert just right! If you're wondering if you really need those pistachios on top...Yes! The nuttiness and crunch it added really brought the whole dessert together.
What you'll need
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
Pinch of Kosher or fine sea salt
1 cup superfine sugar, divided use
1 cup fresh strawberries, stemmed
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
2 cups chopped rhubarb (sliced about 1/4-inch thick)
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tbsp finely chopped pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 250°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Combine the egg whites and salt in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until it starts to form peaks. With the mixer running, gradually add 3/4 cup of sugar. Continue to beat on high until the egg whites are stiff and glossy, about 3 minutes.
3. Drop the egg whites into 6 mounds on the prepared baking sheet. With the back of a soup spoon, spread the egg whites into circles and create a well in the centre with the edges higher than the centres. Bake the nests for 1 - 1 1/2 hours or until the nests are crispy on the outside. Let cool.
4. Put the strawberries in a blender. Add the lemon juice and zest. Add 1/4 cup sugar and blend until smooth. Pour into a saucepan. Add the rhubarb and cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes or until the rhubarb is soft but not mushy. Let cool.
5. Whip the cream with the vanilla until peaks form. To serve, place a dollop of shipped cream in the centre of each nest, top with some strawberry rhubarb mixture, and sprinkle with chopped pistachios.