Monday, July 15, 2013

Slow Cooker BBQ Jerk Chicken

Recipe adapted from Bakers Royale.

I love jerk chicken, so when I found this recipe I was very excited. This chicken is flavourful and fresh, especially with the lime juice squeezed over top. I've found that my favourite BBQ chicken recipes are often cooked in the oven first and then grilled slightly afterwards to make it crisp. When I found this recipe follows the same concept except uses a slow cooker, I was quite happy to have a reason to retire the oven in my air-conditioner free house! It worked great and my house stayed a few degree's cooler.

What you'll need
8 scallions, coarsely chopped
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 jalapenos, stemmed and seeded
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tbsp molasses
3 garlic cloves, peeled
1 tbsp thyme
2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cardamom (optional)
1 tsp coarse salt
4 lbs chicken pieces (breasts and thighs), bone-in, skin-on
lime wedges for serving

How to
1.  Place scallion, oil, habaneros, ginger, molasses, garlic, thyme, allspice, cardamom and salt in a food processor or blender and puree. Transfer 1/2 cup of mixture to slow cooker; reserve remaining mixture.

2.  Add chicken to slow cooker and coat evenly with scallion mixture. Cover and cook until chicken is tender, about 4-6 hours on low.

3.  Heat BBQ to medium-high. Brush the skin side of chicken with half of the remaining scallion mixture and place on the grill skin side down. Grill until slightly charred and crisp, about 5 minutes. Brush the other side of the chicken with remaining sauce and flip the chicken, grilling until the under side is charred and crisp, about 5 minutes. Serve with lime wedges. 

No comments: