Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Grilled Basil Tomatoes



A friend recently introduced me to the wonders of barbecuing tomatoes. Now I'm hooked. I like tomatoes, but I never knew they could taste this good. I found this recipe the other day. The combination of basil, garlic and lemon compliments the tomatoes perfectly.

What you'll need
4 Vine ripened tomatoes
1 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
1 Garlic clove, minced
Juice and zest of 1/2 a lemon
1 tbsp Fresh basil, chopped
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper

How to
1. In a glass measuring cup, whisk together the oil, garlic, basil, lemon juice and zest.

2. Heat the grill to medium heat.

3. Slice the tomatoes in half crosswise and season with salt and pepper. Place, cut side down on grill. Grill for 2-4 minutes, until slightly charred. Turn the tomatoes over and grill till the skin blisters and they begin char, about 2-3 minutes.

4. Plate and drizzle with above mixture. Serve warm.

No comments: