Thursday, January 16, 2014

Toasted Almond and Chocolate Granola

Recipe from Love and Olive Oil

I love this granola! My favourite way to eat it is with plain yogurt and dark cherries (shown above). President's Choice now sells frozen dark cherries. I thaw them and add them to my yogurt. This granola is also delicious to snack on plain. My husband and I actually snack on it while watching TV. I like to think it's a little healthier that many other snack choices. 

I couldn't find the cocoa nibs at the grocery store (and with a newborn, I'm not about to start making extra trips to a specialty grocery store), so I omitted them. I can't tell you if it makes a difference or not, but I can tell you that this granola is super yummy even without the cocoa nibs!

What you'll need
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup slivered almonds
3 tbsp cocoa nibs
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup chocolate chips

How to
1.  Preheat oven to 300F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

2.  In a large mixing bol, stir together oats, coconut, almonds, cocoa nibs, and salt.

3.  In a heatproof bowl or glass measuring cup, microwave honey and oil on high power until mixture is hot and bubbling, about 45 seconds. Whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts. Pour over dry ingredients and toss to coat.

4.  Spread granola onto prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Bake, stirring every 10 minutes, until granola is fragrant and not longer sticky, about 30-35 minutes. Let cool, stirring occasionally to break up the large pieces, for about 20 minutes.

5.  When granola is just barely warm, stir in chocolate chips. You want the chips to soften ever so slightly so they stick to some of the granola, but not melt completely. Granola will keep, stored in an airtight container, for up to 4 weeks. 

No comments: